Main Article Content
The lack of access to proper neurological care is a significant problem in low- to middle-income countries.The development of local training programmes, development of national programmes in collaboration with medical colleges and creation of online educational material are examples of various initiatives currently being implemented across the world.Collaborative efforts between medical societies and these local groups will be vital to the success of these initiatives, and for the improvement of access to paediatric neurology care in these underserved areas.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Bearden D. Pediatric Neurology in Resource-Limited Settings: a Systematic Review.. Curr Pediatr Rep.. 2018. PubMed
- Bower JH, Zenebe G. Neurologic services in the nations of Africa.. Neurology. 2005; 64(3):412-5. PubMed
- PAHO . Informe sobre la epilepsia en América Latina y el Caribe.. Washington, D.C.. 2013. PubMed
- WHO and the World Federation of Neurology . ATLAS Country Resources for Neurological Disorders: Second Edition.. World Health Organization. PubMed
- Bearden DR, Ciccone O, Patel AA. Global Health: Pediatric Neurology.. Semin Neurol. 2018; 38(2):200-7. PubMed
- Donald KA, Samia P, Kakooza-Mwesige A, Bearden D. Pediatric cerebral palsy in Africa: a systematic review.. Semin Pediatr Neurol.. 2014; 21(1):30-5. PubMed
- Arora NK, Nair MKC, Gulati S, et al. Neurodevelopmental disorders in children aged 29 years: Population-based burden estimates across five regions in India.. PLoS Med.. 2018; 15(7):e1002615. PubMed
- Gulati S. Neurodevelopmental Disorders: The Journey, the Dreams and their Realization.. Ann Natl Acad Med Sci (India). 2017; 53(1):30-5. PubMed
- McLane HC, Berkowitz AL, Patenaude BN, et al . Availability, accessibility, and affordability of neurodiagnostic tests in 37 countries.. Neurology. 2015; 18(1614):22. PubMed
- Cameron A, Bansal A, Dua T, et al. Mapping the availability, price, and affordability of antiepileptic drugs in 46 countries.. Epilepsia. 2012; 53(6):962-9. PubMed
- Caraballo R, Fejerman N. Management of epilepsy in resource-limited settings.. Epileptic Disord. 2012; 17(1):13-8. PubMed
- Wilmshurst JM, Badoe E, Wammanda RD, Mallewa M, Kakooza-Mwesige A, Venter A, Newton CR. Child Neurology Services in Africa.. J Child Neurol. 2011; 26(12):1555-63. PubMed
- Mills A. Health care systems in low- and middle-income countries.. N Engl J Med. 2014; 370(6):552-7. PubMed
- Konanki R, Gulati S, Prasad K, Saini L, Pandey RM, Paul VK. Comparison of telephone with face to face consultation for follow-up of Neurocysticercosis.. Epilepsy Res.. 2018; 145:110-5. PubMed
- Shruthi NM, Konanki R, Singh M, Saini L, Sondhi V, Jauhari P. Telephonic follow for chronic childhood neurological disorders: A Teach and Treat Initiative (S28. 001).. Neurology. 2018; 90(15 Supplement):S28. PubMed
- Gulati S, Patela H, Chakrabartya B, et al. Development and validation of AIIMS modified INCLEN diagnostic instrument for epilepsy in children aged 1 month18 years. Epilepsy Res.. 2017; 130:64-8. PubMed
- Shruthi NM, Sondhi V, Chakrabarty B, et al. Comprehensive Neurodevelopmental Care: Initiatives to empower health care professionals and care givers in resource constrained settings.. Neurology. 2018; 90(15 Supplement:P3):156. PubMed
- Tripathi M, Jain DC, Gourie DM, Gulati S. Need for a national epilepsy control program.. Ann Indian Acad Neurol.. 2012; 15(2):89-93. PubMed
- Vidaurre J, Clarke D, Kija E, Chugani H, Moshe SL. The role of national and international neurology societies in global health. Pediatr Neurol. 2018; 81:3-5. PubMed
- Moshe SL. The International League Against Epilepsy at the threshold of its second century: Challenges and opportunities. Epilepsia. 2009; 50(12):2508-13. PubMed
- WHO Executive Board, 136. Global burden of epilepsy and the need for coordinated action at the country level to address its health, social, and public knowledge implication.. WHA68.20. 2015. PubMed
- Melbourne-Chambers R, Clarke D, Gordon-Strachan G, Tapper J, Tulloch-Reid MK. The UWIMONA Pediatric Epilepsy Seizure Screening Questionnaire was equivalent to clinical assessment in identifying children with epilepsy. J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68(9):988-93. PubMed
- Krauss G, Sandy S, Corbin DO, et al. Epilepsy care in the southern Caribbean.. Epilepsy Behav. 2015; 51:267-72. PubMed
- Donald KA, Kakooza AM, Wammanda RD, et al. Pediatric Cerebral Palsy in Africa: Where Are We?. J Child Neurol.. 2015; 30(8):963-71. PubMed